the academic experience
Explore our academic programs
#1 in the uc system for percentage of students who go on to receive a master's degree, #2 (tied) for Ph.d.
School of Engineering
- Bioengineering, B.S. Emphases (NEW - open to first year applicants beginning in Fall 2022; transfer applicants must select the "No Emphasis" option): - Biomedical Imaging and Bioinstrumentation - Biotechnology
- Civil Engineering, B.S. (newly opened to first year students in Fall 2021. Available to transfer students in Fall 2023)
- Computer Science and Engineering, B.S.
- Environmental Engineering, B.S.
- Materials Science and Engineering, B.S. Optional Emphasis: - Nanotechnology
- Mechanical Engineering, B.S.
SCHOOL OF NATURAL SCIENCES
- Applied Mathematical Sciences, B.S.* Emphases: - Computational and Data Sciences - Computational Biology - Computer Science - Economics - Engineering - Environmental - Physics
- Biological Sciences, B.S.* Emphases: - Developmental Biology - Ecology and Evolutionary Biology - Human Biology - Microbiology and Immunology - Molecular and Cell Biology
- Chemistry, B.S.* Emphases: - Biological Chemistry - Chemistry - Materials Chemistry
- Environmental Systems Science, B.S.
- Physics, B.S.* Emphases: - (NEW) Astrophysics - Atomic/Molecular/Optical/Condensed Matter (AMO/CM) - Biophysics - (NEW) Computational and Mathematical Physics - Physics
* Junior-level transfer students must choose an emphasis.
SCHOOL OF SOCIAL SCIENCES, HUMANITIES AND ARTS
- Anthropology, B.A.
- Cognitive Science, B.A.
- Cognitive Science, B.S.
- Critical Race and Ethnic Studies, B.A.
- Economics, B.A.
- Economics, B.S.* Emphases: - Economic Analysis and Policy - Quantitative Economics
- English, B.A.
- Global Arts Studies, B.A. Optional Emphases: - Performance Studies - Visual Studies
- History, B.A.
- Management and Business Economics, B.S.
- Philosophy, B.A.
- Political Science, B.A.
- Psychology, B.A.
- Public Health, B.A.
- Sociology, B.A.
- Spanish, B.A.
*All applicants must choose an emphasis
First year students (freshmen) can choose to apply as Undeclared within any of the three academic schools: Engineering; Natural Sciences or Social Sciences, Humanities and Arts.
You’ll get an introduction to learning at a research university starting from your first semester.
General Education nurtures the spirit of critical inquiry, building your knowledge of various fields, cultures, and perspectives. It also fosters collaboration, communication, and ethical action, while empowering you to share your learning and skills to address the local and global challenges of an interconnected, changing world.
Spark Seminars are unique courses taught by professors who are passionate about their research. These classes are kept small, so you'll have the chance to work with faculty as soon as you get to campus.
UC Merced is known for our unique research opportunities. The Undergraduate Research Opportunities Center (UROC) gives students the chance to apply academic knowledge in real-world settings.
Ranked among the most innovative Universities with the best Undergraduate teaching
- U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges Rankings, 2022
enjoy small classes
of undergraduate classes have fewer than 30 students
of students say they've had a class in which a professor knew their name
countries around the world where students have studied abroad*
*Students’ participation in this program will be closely monitored within health and safety guidelines.